Wednesday, November 7, 2012

love at first sight

Julianna Mae Carlson
Monday, October 22, 2012 10:25am
6lbs 14oz

God is so Good! Monday, October 22 at 10:25am we welcomed Julianna Mae Carlson in to our family. I am not going to lie... it is completely surreal and unbelievable how fast things can change.

As I had posted earlier, I was dilated to a 3-4 on the 38 week check up. I tried to take it as easy as possible for the remainder of the weekend. I think I am the anomaly of pregnant women. I wanted her to stay in there as long as possible. Yes I was crazy uncomfortable, but I wanted her to be as healthy and chubby as possible! So all weekend I would experience what I think were contractions. None of them were horrible and they were not consistent, but by Monday morning, we were headed to the hospital.

Due to Sweet baby J's positioning she was a prime candidate for a C-Section. For those of you that know my husband, you know he hates all things hospital and really hates ALL things with blood or needles. Kelly was a nervous wreak sitting with me in the pre-op room waiting for an OR. By this time most of the family was out in the waiting room and very very anxious.

They had to take me in to the operating room and get me prepped before Kelly could come in. Again, this whole thing was completely surreal. The entire time I just kept praying for the Lord to protect Julianna and bring her in to the world without complications. They let Kelly sit at a stool right by my head and talk to me. I don't really remember what all he said, but I think at one point I had to tell him to stop making me laugh.

Next there was a whole lot of pulling and tugging and some serious pressure with the reward of Amanda leaning over the curtain to reassure me that it was still a girl. I know it sounds silly, but I was still a little concerned she would grow parts.
All puffy and cute after getting cleaned up

After I heard that sweet wail I felt such a wave of relief wash over me. Kelly squeezed my had and a said, "I'm going to go be with her now if that's ok." I can't tell you why but man, that only makes me love him more... It was like, I still love you and you are my number one priority, but I am now a dad and going to take care of our baby girl. I am probably reading in to this completely, and could blame it all on hormones, but I like my analysis and I am going with it.

After they sewed me up I had to get monitored for 30 minutes to make sure that I didn't have any reaction to the meds. All the while Kelly was in the nursery with her getting the APGAR test and cutting an umbilical cord.

I got back to the room and shortly after Kelly and Julianna came in. Immediately they brought in the lactation consultant and we tried breast feeding. I had really wanted to breast feed, but in true Team Carlson fashion, I tired to keep my expectations reasonable and just prayed that I would be able to. Thankfully, Julianna was cool with the whole process. With that being said, WOW breast feeding is hard work. I am so so blessed to have a great group of friends and family though that have been through it and were able to answer a lot of my questions of, "is this normal?!"

Monday night I could not sleep. I was soooooo itchy. I got up in the middle of the night and just scratched. Probably not the best idea because I woke up Tuesday with a full blown rash. The rash covered from one side of my tummy to the other, creeping up to just under my chest and creeping down ALL the way to my upper thigh. Turns out I am allergic to the Betadine, oh and if that wasn't enough.. I am allergic to the tape too. So after a couple different meds and some picture text to the specialists I am slowly getting my skin back to normal.

We got to go  home Thursday night, which of course caused a whole new wave of emotion. I know it was mostly the hormones, but getting my stuff together on Thursday morning spurred a small crying bout on my part and a new set of fears. I wish I could just stay in the hospital for the first few weeks, having all the nurses and help available to answer questions and provide advice. But alas we were kicked to the curb and told to go be parents.

So we put on our big kid panties and dressed Julianna in a beautiful going home outfit and drove about 65mph to get home safe and sound. 

Look how cute Kelly is and look how cute Julianna is in her bloomers... she will have to grow in to these!
It seems like since I have gotten home all I do is pray. I pray all the time for God to help me to be a better person, and stronger Christian, a better wife and a strong Christian Mother that can be a good example.
I constantly pray that God will protect her and help me to have the faith to know that whatever is God's will is better than anything I have planned for her own life.
Now... to try to get some sleep.



No comments: