Monday, May 7, 2012

Italy 2011 ROME if you want to...

OK I must say.. I LOVED Rome. I wanted to live there and lets be honest.. if Walmart told me we were acquiring some stores in Italy.. team carlson would be Rome bound.


This was our view from the Hilton Rose Garden Palace in Rome. This was one of my favorite hotels. they gave you these plush robes and fluffy slippers. And if you were ever concerned about safety? Don't worry that building across the street is the US Embassy.
Since it was one of my fav's I took pictures of every angle

*travel tip- Have you ever traveled internationally? Well the showers in Italy were interesting. rather than be a standing shower with a wall of glass all the way around- it only covers 1/4 of the shower. So a. it was drafty and b. if you are a mess like me... water goes EVERYWHERE.
The Hilton in Rome however had legit shower curtain and... heated towels.
Note the plush robe waiting for me. AHHH

Closet? I know I just loved the room and wanted every angle.



This next picture makes me laugh... this is one of the many ways you buy wine oversees.
They drink it all day everyday. There was even a winery  the size of an EZ MART on the side of the hill near our hotel.
 This bottle though reminds me of the family size HiC orange drink to.
 But wine is cheaper than bottled water and cokes.
6 pack of bottled water= 6 euro, bottle of coke= 3 euro, this HiC jug= 4 euro.
No wonder they drink wine.



Agenda:
Colosseum
Vatican
Forum
Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Catacombs
 Spanish Steps

Colosseum:



Vatican:We got several referrals from friends that used a company called Angel Tours. So prior to the trip we booked a 3 hour tour of the Vatican. Let me just say we were not disappointed. Our tour guide was awesome. He was an art history major from Dublin and straight out of a Dropkick Murphys and was so passionate about every bit of the art and history my only regret was that I didn't have a notebook to take notes. Since he was so passionate about the Italian history the 3 hour tour ended up being 4.5 hours.  He also mentioned that normally during the high season it takes 30-45 minutes to get through a room due to all the people.
                                    
*travel tip- If you are able to go in November, that was a perfect time. the weather was a little bit cooler and there was a chance of rain, but thankfully the 14 days we were there we never once had to use our rain jackets. Some places along the coast close down mid November, so you may want to go the first couple weeks in November.
                                


 
Forum:

 Pantheon:
Trevi Fountain
 Spanish Steps:

 
Catacombs:
Not suprsing.. they don't let you take pictures in these.


Here are a few random shots... and trust me I have more, but to be honest.. I am tired!

Photobucket

No comments: