Friday, May 7, 2010

state of the world today

So yesterday I made the statement that, "when Haiti has a tragic event, and when we have a tsunami, all of these celebrities decide to pitch in...But when Nashville has a crisis..Where are they?"



Which I feel like is a true statement. Please do not think that I am being rude or discounting any of the work that people have done for these cause's because I think that they are great cause's, but I also think Hollywood has a glamorized vision almost like it is the "cool thing" to do (hey look how much more publicity you get when you go oversees to do work--Brangelina, Madonna, Oprah) and look international before they help on home soil. Just my opinion. I hope you don't all start sending me hate mail and threatening my dog's life. I have yet to see the messages that tell me to text to the Nashvegas fund and all the money will go to the flood efforts.

My hope would be for when something like the flood in Nashville happens, we could all pitch in and start raising money for the reconstruction. Which is why I have a whole new respect for Taylor Swift. See below.

Country megastar Taylor Swift announced Thursday night that she will donate $500,000 toward flood relief. Vince Gill broke the news during a telethon he hosted on Nashville's local NBC affiliate. The telethon also featured country stars Naomi Judd and Alison Krauss.
"Being at home during the storm, I honestly could not believe what was happening to the city and the people I love so dearly," Swift told The Associated Press. "Nashville is my home, and the reason why I get to do what I love. I have always been proud to be a Nashvillian, but especially now, seeing the love that runs through this city when there are people in crisis."
 
Ke$ha, the "Tik Tok" singer whose hometown is Nashville, will host a benefit concert in June, according to E! Online.
"One hundred percent of the profits from ticket sales will go to help the victims of these devastating floods," Ke$ha told E! in a statement. "Nashville helped shape me as an artist and as a person and my love for this city is beyond words. I will continue to do anything I can to help rebuild this city and support the families and animals who have been affected by this tragedy."



I am pretty involved with Susan G Komen Ozark. Fortunatley for me I have never had someone close to me suffer from this disease. I feel very strongly about it and I am moved each time I hear another story. Kelly Foster was involved in Race for the Cure this year, she sent this email to our steering committee today. I asked her is she minded if we prayed for her and her family and she said she would appriciate it. So I am opening it up to you all to keep the Foster family in your prayers throughout her struggle....
 
Dear Steering committee,
Great job on the race this year! Even through the rain & lightning, you all held fast to the mission at hand. I also wanted to say ‘thank you’! This mission has now become even more urgent & personal to me as I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, I found out the day before the race. So, let’s press on and ‘Race for the Cure’!

Below is a letter about the journey I am on if you would like to know where I’m at in the process.
Thanks again to all of you for your hard work!!!
Hello to all,


‘Overwhelmed by love’ not what I thought I would be feeling after getting a diagnosis of breast cancer. But that is the only way to describe what I have been feeling. If you are hearing this news for the 1st time, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to call in person. It has been a roller coaster ride of ups & downs, moments of crying with friends & family & just as many moments of laughter. I have already had several of my ‘girls’ groups lay hands on me in prayer, very powerful time for all of us.


Several things that have become very clear to me:
*God is near & very powerful

*It is very humbling to hear from so many friends & family with offers of help & prayers (also a lot of prayers from people I don’t even know)
*The only reason I have the strength & attitude I do is because of ‘Christ who is in me’ I am learning to let go & fall into his arms


At this point I have been diagnosed with DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) – ca of the ‘milk ducts’ that is contained, not invasive although it is pretty big, covers about 8cm. It is surrounding the lymph node but the pathology report shows no evidence that it was in the node. I’m visualizing that tiny node (anybody want to name him for me?) as a mighty fortress! A wall that won’t be crossed! After seeing 2 surgeons, we have decided to go with Dr. Klimberg who is in Little Rock & is doing amazing work & research in the field of breast cancer. She spent an extraordinary amount of time with Lance & I on Tuesday (literally about 2 hrs. of her time) and did another ultra sound to try to get a feel for what to expect in surgery. She is very personable & confident about her work. She is recommending that I go ahead & do a Bilateral Mastectomy with reconstruction, which we agree with & are proceeding with that plan. We see the plastic surgeon Dr. Yuen, who will do the reconstruction (which will take several steps but at least we can start the process at the same time), next Tuesday 5/11 for a consult & will see Dr. Klimberg again that afternoon. Even though the path reports are showing non-invasive cancer & a negative lymph node at this point, I think all the docs are concerned that it is invasive due to the size & characteristics of growth. We will get a final report when I have surgery. They will do a frozen section of the sentinel node (1st node from breast) & depending on what they find, they will take more lymph nodes or not, it will not change the rest of the surgery. It will also determine whether or not I would need to have chemo or radiation.


Lance still continues to be the best husband in the world (for me of course, I know you other guys are the best for your gals too!). Crying & laughing with me & standing by my side the whole way. I know God would sustain me but I sure am glad he gave me Lance too. Ozark Guidance just hired 2 more child docs (yeah, finally) that will start this summer, so help is on the way & God’s timing was perfect. Maybe Lance will finally have time to make it to the bathroom during his work day, (heehee). The kids seem to be doing ok, they all have good friends who they have talked with & shared what’s going on. It’s probably scariest for Graham who remembers the struggles my mom went through at the end of her fight with breast cancer. Right now it’s seems a bit surreal, we’re just moving thru life as we know it. I’ve been working hard this week to get the garden tilled up & ready to plant, flowers in pots, etc. It is fun work for me & a good distraction. Yes, I have moments (usually in the dark early morning hours) of fear & sadness & vanity for a physical body that I have always counted on but is now responding in a way I have no control over but I am not doubtful or overwhelmed with fear. I am willing and eager to learn from this ‘moment in time’ and see what God has in store for all of us.
Since you have offered your prayers so readily; this is what I feel like the Lord wants me to ask for:


*God will be revealed – that people will see Christ in me


*For all who are praying & the people we are meeting along this journey will be ‘overwhelmed by LOVE’


*Genetic testing & final pathology results
*Able to get appt. for surgery sooner rather that later
We love you all & praise God for you often,


Kelly
Here are a couple of scriptures that Holly (my sister) shared with me soon after I was diagnosed that I am claiming & reading often. The Is. 41:10 was also given to me the next day by one of my closest friends, Michele.
Isaiah 41:10
'Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'
Isaiah 43
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
2"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched,
Nor will the flame burn you.
3"For I am the LORD your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;


Make-A-Wish...
Make-A-Wish.


I am a bonafide wish granter.. complete with cape & wand... Sometimes when I am feeling sassy I sprinkle fairy dust where ever I go.

Well we have a new wish kid. He is 9 years old and has a brain tumor. We are meeting with him in the next week to discuss what his wish is...

I am kind of nervous about it. This is our very first one to do from start to finish. There are so many rules when it comes to the actual wish granting. Did you know that 1 out of 2 wishes is Disney World. Which not that you can really blame them, but that is a lot of mickey! Other things that you may find interesting: It costs an average of $7,000 to complete a wish from start to finish. Celebrities don't do much wish granting- another shout out to my girl Taylor Swift- SHE grants wishes and we lover her for that.
There are 20 children in NWA that have a life threatening disease and are on the list to get their wish granted.

Little bit of info for you all incase you are interested..
Make-A-Wish Midsouth
or email"
Felisha Baquera the Volunteer Coordinator
 
fbaquera@midsouth.wish.org

No comments: