Sunday, March 21, 2010

healthy dinner

Everyone knows that the Carlson family is on a  budget.. We are also try to eat pretty healthy. We usually buy ground turkey meat in bulk at sam's. Well they were having a special buy on it so I had to buy more. Well, I got home to realize that we had a lot of turkey in the freezer and we needed to get rid some of it.
For Christmas my in-laws got me a cookbook called "Fix it & Forget it Lightly" By Phyllis Pellman Good. It is a healthy crock-pot book.

Last night we made the Ground turkey soup.
1LB ground turkey
1 cup onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 15 oz can drained kidney beans
1 cup carrots sliced
1 cup celery sliced
1/4 cup uncooked rice
1 quart low-sodium diced Italian tomatoes
1 can green beans drained
1 small green pepper chopped
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups of water
** I added a package of Italian seasoning mix**
You brown the turkey then add all the ingredients in to the crock-pot. Cook on low for 7 hours.
It was so easy and really good. I think it tasted better because I knew it was low fat and healthy.
Total calories per serving 120, 1gram of fat, 13 grams of protein

If you break down the meal, the following things I had to purchase:
ground turkey- 1lb about  $2.25
1 onion $ .50
1 can beans $1.50
1 bag carrots $1.25
celery $.75
green pepper $.85
green beans $.62
2 cans tomatoes $ 3.00

total for things purchased $10.72
We were able to have the soup for 3 meals a piece, costing roughly $1.75 per meal.
I hope you all enjoy and go by this book it is wonderful... you can even make cakes in the crock-pot!

Tomorrow I will have pics and stories from our girls night!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Can you get me a copy of that book please???